Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Human Hours in January

I am slowly approaching human hours of wakefulness again. This means that I'll be able to stay awake past 6 p.m. soon and again participate in various social endeavors. This is just a note to those who wonder into which hole I may have fallen and when I might be expected to clamber back out of it.

Being awake during the day, however, does not mean that I'll be more motivated to put more Termagants together. I managed to demonstrate this the other day by de-spruing four more, carefully laying them out in divided piles of plastic pieces, and then abandoning them. I may have scraped some flash from a limb or two. I may not have. I suspect when I look at them again, the evidence will be inconclusive.

Also, I have decided that I do not enjoy January. I wouldn't necessarily say that it is my least favorite month, but it is certainly in contention for the title. Why would this be? Of course I am willing to inform you.

First, January in the Northern Hemisphere is mostly cold. This has to do with a lot of things like orbital axes and such. I won't bore you with the details. Just believe me when I tell you that January in the Northern Hemisphere means winter. I dislike winter and have ever since I started working and driving. Mainly, I think winter is for children. If I lived in an area where we really got a lot of snow, maybe it would be more fun. Then I could build snow forts (or more likely, think about building snow forts without ever building them). I could throw snow projectiles at passers by, probably mostly children.

One of the nice things about January is that it is directly after December. This does have an awesomeness factor of making it as far from the next holiday season as it is possible to be. On the other hand, I like to sing "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch," especially the verse about the seasick crocodile. The only time I have a good excuse to do this is around the holidays. Once January comes along, I just become a weirdo singing a Christmas song out of season. I suppose, the respite from the holidays on balance equals out the excuse for singing Grinchy songs, but I like to focus on the negatives.

I own one of these. I think you are not surprised.

P.S. If I glue their adrenal glands to their chests, does that make them Pamagants?

P.P.S. I wonder if I'm the only person who has a least favorite and most favorite month. I spend a lot of time thinking about my favorites. Not just the usual things like movies and bands, but also stuff like favorite months (October), barristas, and Hormagaunt heads.

6 comments:

washout said...

I just started painting that carnifex. and am checking back her for the color scheme, hers to hoping its the right one.

washout said...

also you should assemble all of your carnifexes asap as I thin I can paint them fairly well and with general rapidity.

washout said...

I've finished the carnifex and it looks as good as the one in the photo you sent me. Hive fleet insomnia is a good choices considering I painted him between 4 and 5:45 am. Also the large tyranid models are all equally timely to pain. In other word I could paint a tyranid warrior in the same time it would take to do a carnifex but the initial white -red drybrush then red-brown wash, mistake correction and then the shell drybrush probably takes about 45 minutes the rest of the time is all the details like teeth and eyes and shit.

washout said...

Also go ahead and spray everything black I figured a method that actually makes that for a better looking field of depth with the red.

washout said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
washout said...

If you go to the store or can check your paints here is what you need:

black
white
red
citadel codex grey
citadel scorpion green
citadel red wash
citadel chestnut wash