Saturday, January 5, 2008

Insomnia == Progress

Four more Hormagaunts have joined the Hive Fleet. I was contemplating attempting to sleep an hour or so ago. Instead, I felt guilty at not having assembled any models in the past few days. Of course this means that I will sleep until 4 or 5 in the afternoon, but so be it. Hopefully the Seahawks will be able to win without me watching the game.

Dear readers, you may have noticed a sort of trend. Astute observers will have noted that, apart from the initial batch, I have not assembled any Gaunts (or Termagants as they were once known). Instead, I have been producing Hormagaunts. The reasons for this are several.

One reason is simply that I hate Termagants and wish them all to die in a fire. Why this unremitting hostility? Are they not inexpensive and versatile units? I won't quibble about their cost or utility on the battlefield. Mainly, I simply hate the models themselves. Specifically, the guns. The operation of gluing the guns together involves 3 pieces - the body, the gun arm, and the supporting arm. All three of these must be glued simultaneously! This is ludicrously difficult for someone as inept at the gluing arts as myself. It is only compounded by using Testors Model Cement, as opposed to super glue (More on Testors versus super glue at another time).

Another reason is for the increasing ratio of Hormagaunts to Termagants is that I will be more likely to use many Hormagaunts in an army. I think generally the only time I'll be inclined to use Termagants is when I really, really want to swarm. Really, I just want to get an army on the ground, and I'll reach that goal more quickly if I focus on one or the other.

I suppose that two reasons for hating Termagants can't really qualify as 'several'. Believe me, if necessary, I could make up reasons all day, including elaborate fictions about the quality of individual Termagant's character and aspersions about their family lives. For now, I don't believe that will be required.

No comments: